Saturday, July 29, 2006

Meanwhile, Back In Guantanamo Bay Prison...


"I am pleading you to do something for me - I feel I am on death’s bed." --Juma Al Dossary, Guantanamo Bay detainee, in a letter to his attorney dated June 12, 2006.

As you can tell by our mainstream media, there’s been a virtual media blackout on Guantanamo Bay since the Bush administration kicked out reporters last month. Today, I’m lifting the veil of secrecy over the prison and present to you an interesting article that was published in Wednesday’s edition of the Gulf Daily News.

The article is about 32-year-old Juma Al Dossary, a Guantanamo Bay detainee from Bahrain that has attempted suicide 13 times since his incarceration. He is suffering from a blood infection he may have contracted from a blood transfusion given to him after a March 11th suicide attempt. Since the blood transfusion, Al Dossary suffered from stomach pains and used to go to the bathroom as much as fourteen times a day. Doctors at the Guantanamo Bay prison told him that he has blood diseases and other problems. However, it doesn’t appear he is receiving adequate medical treatment because his physical and mental condition has deteriorated.

In a letter to his New York-based attorney dated June 12, 2006, Al Dossary made an appeal for the Bahrain government to send a medical delegation to the prison to give him a thorough physical and mental examination and to confirm that U.S. military doctors did not transfer dangerous diseases through blood transfusions. Despite being seriously ill, the U.S. military declassified this letter on June 25, 2006.

To this day, Al Dossary remains in solitary confinement, is not allowed to receive mail from his family, and still does not have his belongings.

In light of Attorney General Alberto Gonzales’s concern about protecting the Bush administration from violations of the War Crimes Act of 1996, why are we hearing stories like Al Dossary’s in the world media? More importantly, how come the mainstream media in the United States hasn’t made a single report on Guantanamo Bay since Bill O’Reilly’s visit to the prison? What are they covering up? Why is it taking so long for detainees to get adequate medical care? Why is it taking so long to press charges against Al Dossary? Why is the Guantanamo Bay prison still open after President Bush expressed his desire to close the facility?

The Red Cross, Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International or another independent organization needs to be sent to Guantanamo Bay to ensure that Al Dossary and the other detainees are in good health. This article is just the latest example why the Bush administration cannot be allowed to circumvent or alter the War Crimes Act of 1996 in any way, shape, or form. If Al Dossary dies and it is proven that either his blood disorder was caused by the blood transfusion he received or he did not receive adequate medical treatment during his incarceration, then this could have huge implications on the Bush administration.

I urge you to click here and read the Gulf Daily News article on Juma Al Dossary’s recent mistreatment at the Guantanamo Bay prison. I’m stressing the word "recent" because in writing this post, I’ve stumbled upon a treasure trove of information on Juma Al Dossary’s incarceration at the Guantanamo Bay prison.

In half an hour, I will post more information on my discovery. Stay tuned.

Technorati Tags: , , , , ,

11 Comments:

Blogger heathlander said...

Wow, I'd never heard of him before. Nice exclusive, robbie! It's terrible that people are being kept there at all, but to deprive a sick person from treatment...well, I guess it shouldn't surprise me. How long did it take them to let the ICRC in?

9:44 AM  
Blogger - said...

Ok Im back...sorry about the "living in the future thing"

(smile)

9:56 AM  
Blogger - said...

DOH...have to clean the pool.

Just let me know when your next post is Jamie and I will follow that one.

9:58 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

:) Thas OK.

If no-one minds, I'd like to take the 11:30 slot (after Marcella). Is that alright?

9:58 AM  
Blogger - said...

I'm sorry

What time zone did we decide on again?

10:00 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

We didn't, really. When I say 10AM, I mean in three minutes. When I say 11AM, I mean in just over an hour.

10:02 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

Oh, is that PST? OK, cool. It's a bit confusing for me (it's 6pm where I am :) but I've got used to it by now.

10:05 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

So I can take the 11:30 slot, yes?

10:06 AM  
Blogger lulando said...

Howdy: I am sort of ready now. If you don't mind, Jamie, I would rather send 'em to you by email and you sending them back to me. OK?

10:06 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

Per - yeh, that's fine. You can have the 11:30 slot, and I'll take the next one (unless someone else needs it).

I'm not sure about Bodda - I think he's posting in the evening too.

By the way, if anyone feels able to post more than four, please do, since I miscalculated at the beginning (I included elendil, when he's not here). If everyone posts 4, we'll end up with 44 - 4 short. I'll try to make up the difference, but help would be much appreciated :)

10:10 AM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

you should write an abridged version as a letter to the editor or rewrite it a bit for a oped piece of a newspaper,
Ingrid

10:16 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

List all torture incidents | List deaths | List by technique | List by location
Public support | Government policy | Accountability & cover-ups | Rendition | FoIA docs | NGO reports & legal actn
Consequences & blowback | The New Iraq & other broken promises | The media | The noble few