Sunday, July 30, 2006

Congrats! We Did It!

Well, we did it! We didn't just do it either – we did it with style and finesse, managing a whopping 51 posts. Yes, we're Just. That. Cool. Next year we might have to do it left-handed, with both eyes shut and one arm tied behind our backs - you know, to make it interesting.

Taking part in this Blogathon, apart from being loads of fun, has also been really educational about what is one of the most important issues in the world today, which was one of the two main goals of the project. We've had discussions on the psychology of torture, we've had expert analysis of the politics and practicalities of torture, we've had shocking exposes, we've had pathetic name-calling, words of wisdom, poetry...the lot. We've even gone self-referential...how cool is that?

Thank you so much to everyone who volunteered their time - (in no particular order) Mash, Robbie, Ingrid, Per, Marcella, Bodda, Heretical Jew, Chuck, cyberotter...you've all been fantastic. Thanks also to our wonderful monitor, Barbara.

Of course, our second main goal was to raise money for Amnesty International USA, and so far we have officially raised an amazing $1157, all of which will go directly Amnesty USA.

Thank you so much to all our sponsors - you have done a good deed by helping us out, and it is hugely appreciated.

Don't forget that we can still get sponsors up to 48 hours after the Blogathon finishes, so keep pestering everyone you know. My advice is to poke them with a stick.

OK, well I think we did elendil proud :)

Thanks again everyone for helping out,

and now...I'm Off To Bed and I don't plan on waking till the Blogathon 2007.

Goodnight!!

9 Comments:

Blogger El Mas Chingón said...

And we stayed awake the full 24 hours. Thank you all for a wonderful Blogathon! I'm off to bed.

6:07 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

We did it. Blogathon 2006 - been there, done that, got the eye-bags. :)

6:08 AM  
Blogger heathlander said...

Yes indeedy. Your most welcome, and of course much thanks back to you all.

Well, I'm worrited that if I don;t go to sleep soon I'll pass a 'tipping-point' and I'll be doomed to stay awake forever, so I bid you all a very good night.

Thanks again!!!

6:09 AM  
Blogger bodda said...

great going guys
good night to all those who stayed up the whole 24 hours...
it was great fun, and most importantly, we tried to do something.

three cheers to all!!!
HIP HIP HURRAYYYYY

6:11 AM  
Blogger lulando said...

Anyone around?

7:46 AM  
Blogger Ingrid said...

Congratulations..sorry could not be around for the finishing line! I can just hear you all snore and you guys probably won't resurface until tonight. I loved being part of it and for sure, we'll be ready for the blogathon 2007. I think come next year, we can have more promotions in place and more fundraising. I'll wait before giving my ideas, you guys can bask in the light for a job well done! (even though you might feel kinda 'raw' right now) ooh..bad joke, never mind...
Ingrid

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats everyone!! I am glad that I was able to contribute what little I did.

Also I neglected to quote something I probably should have. Although I do not know the exact source, the sentence "Violence is the last resort of the incompetent" is a Vulcan proverb. I appologise for not adding the appropreate reference with the sentence.

I saw that one of the posts quoted the sentencce and I wanted to set the record straight.

12:07 PM  
Blogger MHB said...

Great job everyone! Thanks for all your efforts and staying awake! I'm still trying to catch up...

12:42 PM  
Blogger El Mas Chingón said...

Yeah, I just woke up about thirty minutes ago. :-)

1:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

List all torture incidents | List deaths | List by technique | List by location
Public support | Government policy | Accountability & cover-ups | Rendition | FoIA docs | NGO reports & legal actn
Consequences & blowback | The New Iraq & other broken promises | The media | The noble few